Tuesday 27 September 2011

Supply of Medical Devices

A nice video on supply of medical devices.

Optimizing the Supply Chain of Medical Devices: A Shared SaaS Platform for Suppliers and Providers
This reminded me of my field visits, where the sales Rep keeps a trunk stock, and a paper report or an application acts as a stock manager.

Some interesting concepts:
- Physician Preference Items (100 to 20000 US$ each, ca 40% of total hospital supply expenses)
- Consignment items
- Write-offs (I no longer find write-offs an issue, only the fact that they are not controlled/observed)
- Reverse logistics ARE important (Recalls, expired items)

Some concepts I keep present:
- 3 most important things seem to be traceability, traceability and traceability. Easy traceability, as in "show me your RFID/Barcode, I will know where you are". Ubiquitous traceability, as in "tell me often where you are".

- A rigid system would not work. Any system should not be limiting the marketing and distribution models

- Integration with other processes (charging, clinical) is a common requirement. For example tracking an item that has been implanted...

When it comes to inventory...
All you know is that you're wrong. But how wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment